This is a project to build a lake house at Land between the Lakes in Dover, TN.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Container Home: Finishing Up the Earth Tube Cooling System - 25 October 2015

A lot was accomplished this last weekend. I finished connecting the culvert piping. I used cement for the large gaps and then covered that will aluminum tape. Finally, I cut small portions of the piping and put over the aluminum tape so that weight of the ground would be distributed evenly across the joints.



Next came filling in the trenches. We did this very slowly, while I was inside the trench to make sure the joints remained OK while the dirt slowly came down on them. Here is the final view after the trenches were filled in.




Here is a view of where the pipes enter the house.



Finally, a mound was built up to divert water flow over the winter around the house.



At the same time this took place, I had to take a tree down for the cable guy to install the high speed internet.



While the bulldozer was there, we went ahead and cleared out the rest of the land. The entire property is now cleared.



The next thing was performing the first test of the cooling system. I placed an 11,000 BTU heater behind a fan blowing directly into the air intake. I set both the fan and heater to maximum. I then walked over to the air outlet pipe and felt cool air coming out. This was most exciting!!



Finally, here is a picture of the inside. I got high speed internet installed this last weekend, so now I have connectivity to the outside world. This will be the only utility the house will be connected to. The window is installed behind the water totes in the back left. The sliding door will be installed next spring. Over the winter, I am going to build out the frame for the sliding door and the second window. I am also going to weld the 4"x2"x0.25" beams every four feet down the wall on the right and the wall to the back. This will reinforce the walls when they are buried to keep the dirt from pushing the walls in. The tires that will be placed outside the wall will also help to hold back the dirt. The dirt pushes with 2,300 pounds per square foot of force. The other thing I plan to do over the winter is to install the subflooring. The container on the right is slightly lower, so I will have to shimmy the subflooring slightly.



This was the last time that I will be over to work on the house this year. I have two speaking engagements and my wife and I have three vacations the rest of the year. I will be returning this coming January.
Share:
Location: Dover, TN 37058, USA

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BTemplates.com

About Me

My photo
http://about.me/pletchermick
Powered by Blogger.