This is a project to build a lake house at Land between the Lakes in Dover, TN.

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Container Home: Installing the ceiling 4x4s - 01 May 2016

This weekend, my wife and I got the 4x4s installed across the ceiling of both containers. This gives the containers the structural support that holds them up against the forces of the earth. They also give a place at the ceiling to attach the 2x4s to when we begin building out the interior framing. The third thing it gives is structural support for the roof. The roofs of shipping containers cannot hold much weight because of the wide distance between the structure of the container and that they are fourteen gauge steel.

The second thing we began working on was the roof. As my wife cleaned the roof, I ground down the rust spots. We got about 20% of the roof completed. Next weekend, that is going to be the only task to work on as we want to get it completed before summer temperatures arrive. I plan on finishing up the grinding next weekend and applying the coal tar epoxy. Two weeks from that, I am going to install the vapor barrier, foam sheeting, and a secondary vapor barrier to finish up the roof. This will shield it from the sun and will also provide a mounting area for some on the solar panels.

I was not able to get any pictures this weekend. As we were finishing up yesterday, severe weather came in with flash flooding. We just wanted to get out and get back home. One good thing was that we saw the drainage system I installed worked great. Water was flowing out of it with no problems. We were very satisfied.

Share:
Location: Dover, TN 37058, USA

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BTemplates.com

About Me

My photo
http://about.me/pletchermick
Powered by Blogger.